OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Workaround for mapping apex domain names to Cloudfront distributions

• Thread starter Thread starter Ákos Kovács
  • Start date Start date
Á

Ákos Kovács

I have a domain at an external provider, which I don't want to transfer into AWS, but would like to point it to an existing Cloudfront distribution. Subdomains, including www work with CNAME, but the example.com part -- the apex domain -- doesn't and it requries A or AAAA addresses at that provider (no ALIAS/CNAME).

I know this is a known issue in AWS, but I wonder if there is any workaround that I could use. For example Vercel is also hosted on AWS, they still use CNAME aliases for subdomains (cname.vercel-dns.com), but for the apex they do provide static, anycast IP addresses using the Global Accelerator service.

Would it be possible to create an example.com -> GA IP -> API GW? -> Cloudfront style workaround, which could work with multiple domains and distributions in a sane way?
<p>I have a domain at an external provider, which I don't want to transfer into <code>AWS</code>, but would like to point it to an existing Cloudfront distribution. Subdomains, including <code>www</code> work with <code>CNAME</code>, but the <code>example.com</code> part -- the apex domain -- doesn't and it requries <code>A</code> or <code>AAAA</code> addresses at that provider (no <code>ALIAS</code>/<code>CNAME</code>).</p>
<p>I know this is a known issue in <code>AWS</code>, but I wonder if there is any workaround that I could use. For example Vercel is also hosted on <code>AWS</code>, they still use <code>CNAME</code> aliases for subdomains (<code>cname.vercel-dns.com</code>), but for the apex they do provide static, anycast IP addresses using the Global Accelerator service.</p>
<p>Would it be possible to create an <code>example.com -> GA IP -> API GW? -> Cloudfront</code> style workaround, which could work with multiple domains and distributions in a sane way?</p>
Continue reading...

Latest posts

H
Replies
Views
hohohohoho
H