OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Windows Subsystem For Linux forgets everything

• Thread starter Thread starter Onikoroshi
  • Start date Start date
O

Onikoroshi

I am stuck on a Windows machine for work, but I work with Ruby on Rails, so everything I do has to be done through the Windows Subsystem for Linux. I did finally get it set up and working, but then I tried to get Elastic Beanstalk working. At some point in that process, something made my WSL wonky. Now, when I start it up, things look slightly different (the colors I set for the console aren't working; it's just all the default text color), and when I cd into my project directory and run rails c I get the following:

Code:
Command 'rails' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install ruby-railties

When I try to run bundle install, it gives me this error:

Code:
Your Ruby version is 3.0.2, but your Gemfile specified 3.0.5

When I test the plain ruby version with ruby -v it does indeed report

Code:
ruby 3.0.2p107 (2021-07-07 revision 0db68f0233) [x86_64-linux-gnu]

However, when I check it with rbenv versions, it only lists 3.0.5

Code:
  system
* 3.0.5 (set by /home/peterc/admin-tool/.ruby-version)

Ok, now for the really weird part: All works fine if I start it from something called "Tilix (Ubuntu)". The rails command works, the ruby version is correct, everything works. The trouble with that is that I can't change any of the settings in this Tilix thing. If I try to change the name of one of the profiles, it will show my new letter for the briefest instant, and then it just goes back to "Unnamed"

EDIT: I found one other person with this problem - - but they did not get an answer. They indicated that if they "created a new user" it worked, but no idea how to do that with this application (can't find such an option in the gui).

Anyway, I can't help but think it has something to do with the Elastic Beanstalk (which is the way the team has been interfacing with AWS; maybe there's a better tool?), but I cannot for the life of me figure out what that might be, how to fix it, or even how to undo it.

I apologize for the lack of specific detail here, but I really hope someone else has had a similar situation and can guide me. I appreciate you all!
<p>I am stuck on a Windows machine for work, but I work with Ruby on Rails, so everything I do has to be done through the Windows Subsystem for Linux. I did finally get it set up and working, but then I tried to get Elastic Beanstalk working. At some point in that process, something made my WSL wonky. Now, when I start it up, things look slightly different (the colors I set for the console aren't working; it's just all the default text color), and when I cd into my project directory and run <code>rails c</code> I get the following:</p>
<pre><code>Command 'rails' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install ruby-railties
</code></pre>
<p>When I try to run <code>bundle install</code>, it gives me this error:</p>
<pre><code>Your Ruby version is 3.0.2, but your Gemfile specified 3.0.5
</code></pre>
<p>When I test the plain ruby version with <code>ruby -v</code> it does indeed report</p>
<pre><code>ruby 3.0.2p107 (2021-07-07 revision 0db68f0233) [x86_64-linux-gnu]
</code></pre>
<p>However, when I check it with <code>rbenv versions</code>, it only lists 3.0.5</p>
<pre><code> system
* 3.0.5 (set by /home/peterc/admin-tool/.ruby-version)
</code></pre>
<p>Ok, now for the <em>really</em> weird part: All works fine if I start it from something called "Tilix (Ubuntu)". The rails command works, the ruby version is correct, everything works. The trouble with that is that I can't change any of the settings in this Tilix thing. If I try to change the name of one of the profiles, it will show my new letter for the briefest instant, and then it just goes back to "Unnamed"</p>
<p>EDIT: I found one other person with this problem - <a href=" " rel="nofollow noreferrer"> </a> - but they did not get an answer. They indicated that if they "created a new user" it worked, but no idea how to do that with this application (can't find such an option in the gui).</p>
<p>Anyway, I can't help but think it has something to do with the Elastic Beanstalk (which is the way the team has been interfacing with AWS; maybe there's a better tool?), but I cannot for the life of me figure out what that might be, how to fix it, or even how to undo it.</p>
<p>I apologize for the lack of specific detail here, but I really hope someone else has had a similar situation and can guide me. I appreciate you all!</p>
Continue reading...

Latest posts

M
Replies
Views
Muhammad Rafli Aditya. H
M