OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

What is "an" embedding from Large langage models?

• Thread starter Thread starter vineeth venugopal
  • Start date Start date
V

vineeth venugopal

I am confused about how to determine the best embedding for a given entity from an LLM. If i run:

Code:
model = AutoModelForCausalLM.from_pretrained(
    MODEL_NAME, torch_dtype=torch.float16, trust_remote_code=True, device_map="auto")
outputs = model(**inputs, output_hidden_states=True)
hidden_states = outputs.hidden_states

For Llama2 and Mistral, there are 33 hidden states each of shape [batch_size, number_of_tokens, embedding_size]. Ultimately, when I think of “an” embedding, I am expecting something with the shape [batch_size, embedding_size]. (or just [1, embedding_size]). How do I do this conversion?

Averaging and Pooling The function get_pooling from here seems to suggest that there could be several ways of doing this. Here is a code snippet:

Code:
:param outputs:  torch.Tensor. Model outputs (without pooling)
    :param inputs:  Dict. Model inputs
    :param pooling_strategy:  str. Pooling strategy ['cls', 'cls_avg', 'cls_max', 'last', 'avg', 'max', 'all', index]
    :param padding_strategy:  str. Padding strategy of tokenizers (`left` or `right`).
        It can be obtained by `tokenizer.padding_side`.
    """
    if pooling_strategy == 'cls':
        outputs = outputs[:, 0]
    elif pooling_strategy == 'cls_avg':
        avg = torch.sum(
            outputs * inputs["attention_mask"][:, :, None], dim=1) / torch.sum(inputs["attention_mask"])
        outputs = (outputs[:, 0] + avg) / 2.0
    elif pooling_strategy == 'cls_max':
        maximum, _ = torch.max(outputs * inputs["attention_mask"][:, :, None], dim=1)
        outputs = (outputs[:, 0] + maximum) / 2.0
    elif pooling_strategy == 'last':
        batch_size = inputs['input_ids'].shape[0]
        sequence_lengths = -1 if padding_strategy == 'left' else inputs["attention_mask"].sum(dim=1) - 1
        outputs = outputs[torch.arange(batch_size, device=outputs.device), sequence_lengths]

Why are the outputs being averaged with the attention_mask? The HF outputs shown in ‘ouputs’ above only give the output for the sequence_length so in that case can we just skip the attention_mask?

Finally, given 2 above, what do current LLMs output as an embedding? For example OpenAI has an embeddings API that returns the embedding of a text. What approach are they using to calculate this embedding? What would you consider as the embedding of a string from an LLM?
<p>I am confused about how to determine the best embedding for a given entity from an LLM. If i run:</p>
<pre><code>model = AutoModelForCausalLM.from_pretrained(
MODEL_NAME, torch_dtype=torch.float16, trust_remote_code=True, device_map="auto")
outputs = model(**inputs, output_hidden_states=True)
hidden_states = outputs.hidden_states
</code></pre>
<p>For Llama2 and Mistral, there are 33 hidden states each of shape <strong>[batch_size, number_of_tokens, embedding_size]</strong>. Ultimately, when I think of <strong>“an”</strong> embedding, I am expecting something with the shape [batch_size, embedding_size]. (or just [1, embedding_size]). How do I do this conversion?</p>
<p>Averaging and Pooling
The function <strong>get_pooling</strong> from <a href="https://github.com/SeanLee97/AnglE/blob/main/angle_emb/angle.py" rel="nofollow noreferrer">here</a> seems to suggest that there could be several ways of doing this. Here is a code snippet:</p>
<pre><code>:param outputs: torch.Tensor. Model outputs (without pooling)
:param inputs: Dict. Model inputs
:param pooling_strategy: str. Pooling strategy ['cls', 'cls_avg', 'cls_max', 'last', 'avg', 'max', 'all', index]
:param padding_strategy: str. Padding strategy of tokenizers (`left` or `right`).
It can be obtained by `tokenizer.padding_side`.
"""
if pooling_strategy == 'cls':
outputs = outputs[:, 0]
elif pooling_strategy == 'cls_avg':
avg = torch.sum(
outputs * inputs["attention_mask"][:, :, None], dim=1) / torch.sum(inputs["attention_mask"])
outputs = (outputs[:, 0] + avg) / 2.0
elif pooling_strategy == 'cls_max':
maximum, _ = torch.max(outputs * inputs["attention_mask"][:, :, None], dim=1)
outputs = (outputs[:, 0] + maximum) / 2.0
elif pooling_strategy == 'last':
batch_size = inputs['input_ids'].shape[0]
sequence_lengths = -1 if padding_strategy == 'left' else inputs["attention_mask"].sum(dim=1) - 1
outputs = outputs[torch.arange(batch_size, device=outputs.device), sequence_lengths]
</code></pre>
<p>Why are the outputs being averaged with the attention_mask? The HF outputs shown in ‘ouputs’ above only give the output for the sequence_length so in that case can we just skip the attention_mask?</p>
<p>Finally, given 2 above, what do current LLMs output as an embedding? For example OpenAI has an embeddings API that returns the embedding of a text. What approach are they using to calculate this embedding?
What would you consider as the embedding of a string from an LLM?</p>