OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Too Many Pythons?

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt Baldwin
  • Start date Start date
M

Matt Baldwin

I use a MacBook Pro 2019 running Sonoma 14.3.1

I've installed and uninstalled Python (using Homebrew, and Python.org installers, and asdf) and changed my $PATH a million times.

At present I can't really figure out what I've got, but something seems off. In my .zprofile I have aliased python to python3, but without that, the terminal doesn't know what "python" is. I would have to run python3.

If I

Code:
which python3

I get:

Code:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/bin/python3

Which is maybe consistent with how the Python.org installer situates python?

The python.org installer automatically overwrites the .zprofile with a path variable update so that the zsh $PATH variable looks like this:

Code:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/bin:/usr/local/bin:/System/Cryptexes... etc.

I type

Code:
which -a python3

I get

Code:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/bin/python3
/usr/local/bin/python3
/usr/bin/python3

And both

Code:
python3 -V

and

Code:
usr/local/bin/python3 -V

show

Code:
Python 3.12.4

but:

Code:
usr/bin/python3 -V
Python 3.9.6

My questions are:

Do I have a problem?

Does it need to be solved?

Is there something I can do besides aliasing python to python3 to make the command 'python' execute python?

If I just want to play around and learn and grow as a coder using various coding tools (IDLE, BBEdit, MuEditor, Jupyter, etc). Do I need to set up my system differently?

Do I need Pyenv Rye or something like that?

I have tried and tried to figure out how to make sure I have Python properly installed and I remain confused.
<p>I use a MacBook Pro 2019 running Sonoma 14.3.1</p>
<p>I've installed and uninstalled Python (using Homebrew, and Python.org installers, and asdf) and changed my $PATH a million times.</p>
<p>At present I can't really figure out what I've got, but something seems off. In my .zprofile I have aliased python to python3, but without that, the terminal doesn't know what "python" is. I would have to run python3.</p>
<p>If I</p>
<pre><code>which python3
</code></pre>
<p>I get:</p>
<pre><code>/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/bin/python3
</code></pre>
<p>Which is maybe consistent with how the Python.org installer situates python?</p>
<p>The python.org installer automatically overwrites the .zprofile with a path variable update so that the zsh $PATH variable looks like this:</p>
<pre><code>/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/bin:/usr/local/bin:/System/Cryptexes... etc.
</code></pre>
<p>I type</p>
<pre><code>which -a python3
</code></pre>
<p>I get</p>
<pre><code>/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/bin/python3
/usr/local/bin/python3
/usr/bin/python3
</code></pre>
<p>And both</p>
<pre><code>python3 -V
</code></pre>
<p>and</p>
<pre><code>usr/local/bin/python3 -V
</code></pre>
<p>show</p>
<pre><code>Python 3.12.4
</code></pre>
<p>but:</p>
<pre><code>usr/bin/python3 -V
Python 3.9.6
</code></pre>
<p>My questions are:</p>
<p>Do I have a problem?</p>
<p>Does it need to be solved?</p>
<p>Is there something I can do besides aliasing python to python3 to make the command 'python' execute python?</p>
<p>If I just want to play around and learn and grow as a coder using various coding tools (IDLE, BBEdit, MuEditor, Jupyter, etc). Do I need to set up my system differently?</p>
<p>Do I need Pyenv Rye or something like that?</p>
<p>I have tried and tried to figure out how to make sure I have Python properly installed and I remain confused.</p>

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors