OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Setting options from environment variables when using argparse

• Thread starter Thread starter Russell Heilling
  • Start date Start date
R

Russell Heilling

I have a script which has certain options that can either be passed on the command line, or from environment variables. The CLI should take precedence if both are present, and an error occur if neither are set.

I could check that the option is assigned after parsing, but I prefer to let argparse to do the heavy lifting and be responsible for displaying the usage statement if parsing fails.

I have come up with a couple of alternative approaches to this (which I will post below as answers so they can be discussed separately) but they feel pretty kludgey to me and I think that I am missing something.

Is there an accepted "best" way of doing this?

(Edit to make the desired behaviour clear when both the CLI option and environment variable are unset)
<p>I have a script which has certain options that can either be passed on the command line, or from environment variables. The CLI should take precedence if both are present, and an error occur if neither are set.</p>

<p>I could check that the option is assigned after parsing, but I prefer to let argparse to do the heavy lifting and be responsible for displaying the usage statement if parsing fails.</p>

<p>I have come up with a couple of alternative approaches to this (which I will post below as answers so they can be discussed separately) but they feel pretty kludgey to me and I think that I am missing something.</p>

<p>Is there an accepted "best" way of doing this?</p>

<p>(Edit to make the desired behaviour clear when both the CLI option and environment variable are unset)</p>