OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Scripture Verse Regex

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeremy Menicucci
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeremy Menicucci

I've been trying to set up my own Scripture verse regex that can accomodate a wide ranges of Scripture types. I've copied some of this regex from another stackoverflow question. The issue that I'm having is that it won't find the verse after a comma, after a verse range as in Hos 10:1-3, 8. It will find Hos 10:1-3, but not 8. The issue boils down to a \S that I have in there, but I need that in there so that the regex will find scripture passages that are next to each other, where a second passage starts with a number, like 1 Peter. The regex is:

((?:(I+|1st|2nd|3rd|First|Second|Third|[123])\s)?(Gen|Ge|Gn|Exo|Ex|Exod|Lev|Le|Lv|Num|Nu|Nm|Nb|Deut|Dt|Josh|Jos|Jsh|Judg|Jdg|Jg|Jdgs|Rth|Ru|Sam|Samuel|Kings|Kgs|Kin|Chron|Chronicles|Ezra|Ezr|Ez|Neh|Ne|Esth|Es|Job|Job|Jb|Pslm|Ps|Psalms|Psa|Psm|Pss|Prov|Pr|Prv|Eccles|Ec|Song|So|Canticles|Song of Songs|SOS|Isa|Is|Jer|Je|Jr|Lam|La|Ezek|Eze|Ezk|Dan|Da|Dn|Hos|Ho|Joel|Joe|Jl|Amos|Am|Obad|Ob|Jnh|Jon|Micah|Mic|Nah|Na|Hab|Zeph|Zep|Zp|Haggai|Hag|Hg|Zech|Zec|Zc|Mal|Mal|Ml|Matt|Mt|Mrk|Mk|Mr|Luk|Lk|John|Jn|Jhn|Acts|Ac|Rom|Ro|Rm|Co|Cor|Corinthians|Gal|Ga|Ephes|Eph|Phil|Php|Col|Col|Th|Thes|Thess|Thessalonians|Ti|Tim|Timothy|Titus|Tit|Philem|Phm|Hebrews|Heb|He|James|Jas|Jm|Pe|Pet|Pt|Peter|Jn|Jo|Joh|Jhn|John|Jude|Jd|Jud|Jud|Rev|The Revelation|Genesis|Exodus|Leviticus|Numbers|Deuteronomy|Joshua|Judges|Ruth|Samuel|Kings|Chronicles|Ezra|Nehemiah|Esther|Job|Psalms|Psalm|Proverbs|Ecclesiastes|Song of Solomon|Isaiah|Jeremiah|Lamentations|Ezekiel|Daniel|Hosea|Joel|Amos|Obadiah|Jonah|Micah|Nahum|Habakkuk|Zephaniah|Haggai|Zechariah|Malachi|Matthew|Mark|Luke|John|Acts|Romans|Corinthians|Galatians|Ephesians|Philippians|Colossians|Thessalonians|Timothy|Titus|Philemon|Hebrews|James|Peter|John|Revelation|Re|Ap))(.?\s?\d+((?:[:.]\d+)?(\s?[-–—]\s?)?(?:\d+)(?:(,\s?\d+)*)?\S([:.]?\d+)?(,?\s?\d+[–—-]\s?\d+,?\d+)?)?(?:[:.]\d+)?(?:[abcde])?(?:,\d+)*(?:[-–—]\d?\s?)?)(?:[:.]\d+[–-—]\s?\d+,?\s?\d+)?

I have a link to the tester with a lot of the passages types that I'm wanting to find: link to regex tester with examples Anyone have any suggestions on how to edit this in order to find Hos 10:1-3, 8? I'm pretty new to regex, so I suspect this should be an easy fix for a more seasoned regexer. I've tried quite a bit of different combinations with no success, as each new combination I've tried breaks finding the current passages that I've already been able to test.

<p>I've been trying to set up my own Scripture verse regex that can accomodate a wide ranges of Scripture types. I've copied some of this regex from another stackoverflow question. The issue that I'm having is that it won't find the verse after a comma, after a verse range as in Hos 10:1-3, 8. It will find Hos 10:1-3, but not 8. The issue boils down to a <code>\S</code> that I have in there, but I need that in there so that the regex will find scripture passages that are next to each other, where a second passage starts with a number, like 1 Peter. The regex is:</p>
<p><code>((?:(I+|1st|2nd|3rd|First|Second|Third|[123])\s)?(Gen|Ge|Gn|Exo|Ex|Exod|Lev|Le|Lv|Num|Nu|Nm|Nb|Deut|Dt|Josh|Jos|Jsh|Judg|Jdg|Jg|Jdgs|Rth|Ru|Sam|Samuel|Kings|Kgs|Kin|Chron|Chronicles|Ezra|Ezr|Ez|Neh|Ne|Esth|Es|Job|Job|Jb|Pslm|Ps|Psalms|Psa|Psm|Pss|Prov|Pr|Prv|Eccles|Ec|Song|So|Canticles|Song of Songs|SOS|Isa|Is|Jer|Je|Jr|Lam|La|Ezek|Eze|Ezk|Dan|Da|Dn|Hos|Ho|Joel|Joe|Jl|Amos|Am|Obad|Ob|Jnh|Jon|Micah|Mic|Nah|Na|Hab|Zeph|Zep|Zp|Haggai|Hag|Hg|Zech|Zec|Zc|Mal|Mal|Ml|Matt|Mt|Mrk|Mk|Mr|Luk|Lk|John|Jn|Jhn|Acts|Ac|Rom|Ro|Rm|Co|Cor|Corinthians|Gal|Ga|Ephes|Eph|Phil|Php|Col|Col|Th|Thes|Thess|Thessalonians|Ti|Tim|Timothy|Titus|Tit|Philem|Phm|Hebrews|Heb|He|James|Jas|Jm|Pe|Pet|Pt|Peter|Jn|Jo|Joh|Jhn|John|Jude|Jd|Jud|Jud|Rev|The Revelation|Genesis|Exodus|Leviticus|Numbers|Deuteronomy|Joshua|Judges|Ruth|Samuel|Kings|Chronicles|Ezra|Nehemiah|Esther|Job|Psalms|Psalm|Proverbs|Ecclesiastes|Song of Solomon|Isaiah|Jeremiah|Lamentations|Ezekiel|Daniel|Hosea|Joel|Amos|Obadiah|Jonah|Micah|Nahum|Habakkuk|Zephaniah|Haggai|Zechariah|Malachi|Matthew|Mark|Luke|John|Acts|Romans|Corinthians|Galatians|Ephesians|Philippians|Colossians|Thessalonians|Timothy|Titus|Philemon|Hebrews|James|Peter|John|Revelation|Re|Ap))(.?\s?\d+((?:[:.]\d+)?(\s?[-–—]\s?)?(?:\d+)(?:(,\s?\d+)*)?\S([:.]?\d+)?(,?\s?\d+[–—-]\s?\d+,?\d+)?)?(?:[:.]\d+)?(?:[abcde])?(?:,\d+)*(?:[-–—]\d?\s?)?)(?:[:.]\d+[–-—]\s?\d+,?\s?\d+)?</code></p>
<p>I have a link to the tester with a lot of the passages types that I'm wanting to find: <a href="https://regex101.com/r/gpYbn5/1" rel="nofollow noreferrer">link to regex tester with examples</a>
Anyone have any suggestions on how to edit this in order to find Hos 10:1-3, 8? I'm pretty new to regex, so I suspect this should be an easy fix for a more seasoned regexer. I've tried quite a bit of different combinations with no success, as each new combination I've tried breaks finding the current passages that I've already been able to test.</p>

Latest posts