OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Powershell ISE to Include Sub Class from DLL [duplicate]

• Thread starter Thread starter Peter Sun
  • Start date Start date
P

Peter Sun

I am trying to create PDFs with header and footer using Powershell. I am using PowerShell v5.1. My PowerShell experience is pretty rudimentary as I usually do coding in C#/VB. Unfortunately, one of the requirements is to do this in PowerShell. The library I am using is iTextSharp library.

I am including iTextSharp.dll in my script

Code:
Add-Type -Path "$ScriptLocation\Includes\itextsharp.dll" -ErrorAction Stop

I need to inherit the iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPageEventHelper class to override the OnEndPage function. Everytime I load the script into PowerShell ISE environment, I get this error: Unable to find the type [iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPageEventHelper]. However, the 'missing' type is part of the itextsharp.dll.

I am able to get the environment to recognize the type after the following steps:

1. Comment out the inherited class and the command
  2. Run the script
  3. Uncomment the inherit class and function

In VB.NET, it has the imports statement, sometime like this:

Code:
Imports iTextSharp.text

Is there something similar in Powershell? How can I force the PowerShell environment to recongnize the sub class (iTextSharp.text) without going through those steps I outlinged above?

My code is as follows:

Code:
Add-Type -Path "$ScriptLocation\Includes\itextsharp.dll" -ErrorAction Stop

class PdfPageEvents : iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPageEventHelper {
        [string]$headerText

PdfPageEvents([string]$headerText) {
            $this.headerText = $headerText
        }

# Override OnEndPage to add header and footer
        [void] OnEndPage ([iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfWriter]$writer, [iTextSharp.text.Document]$document) {
            $cb = $writer.DirectContent
            $pageSize = $document.PageSize

# Add header
            $header = New-Object iTextSharp.text.Paragraph($this.headerText, New-Object iTextSharp.text.Font([iTextSharp.text.Font]::ARIAL, 12))
            $header.Alignment = [iTextSharp.text.Element]::ALIGN_CENTER
            $headerTable = New-Object iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPTable(1)
            $headerTable.TotalWidth = $pageSize.Width - $document.LeftMargin - $document.RightMargin
            $headerTable.AddCell($header)
            $headerTable.WriteSelectedRows(0, -1, $document.LeftMargin, $pageSize.Height - $document.TopMargin + 15, $cb)

}
    }

$pdfDocument = New-Object iTextSharp.text.Document([iTextSharp.text.Rectangle]::new([iTextSharp.text.PageSize]::A4.Height, [iTextSharp.text.PageSize]::A4.Width))

$fileStream = New-Object -TypeName IO.FileStream -ArgumentList ($FileOutputName, [System.IO.FileMode]::Create)
    $pdfWriter = [iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfWriter]::GetInstance($pdfDocument, $filestream)
    [iTextSharp.text.FontFactory]::RegisterDirectories()
    $pdfDocument.Open()
    $paragraph = New-Object -TypeName iTextSharp.text.Paragraph

$headerString = "Header Text"
    $pdfWriter.PageEvent = [PdfPageEvents]::new("$headerString")
    $paragraph.add("blah blah blah")
    $pdfDocument.Add($paragraph)
    $pdfDocument.Close()
<p>I am trying to create PDFs with header and footer using Powershell. I am using PowerShell v5.1. My PowerShell experience is pretty rudimentary as I usually do coding in C#/VB. Unfortunately, one of the requirements is to do this in PowerShell. The library I am using is iTextSharp library.</p>
<p>I am including iTextSharp.dll in my script</p>
<pre><code>Add-Type -Path "$ScriptLocation\Includes\itextsharp.dll" -ErrorAction Stop
</code></pre>
<p>I need to inherit the <code>iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPageEventHelper</code> class to override the <code>OnEndPage</code> function. Everytime I load the script into PowerShell ISE environment, I get this error: <code>Unable to find the type [iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPageEventHelper]</code>. However, the 'missing' type is part of the itextsharp.dll.</p>
<p>I am able to get the environment to recognize the type after the following steps:</p>
<ol>
<li>Comment out the inherited class and the command</li>
<li>Run the script</li>
<li>Uncomment the inherit class and function</li>
</ol>
<p>In VB.NET, it has the <code>imports</code> statement, sometime like this:</p>
<pre><code>Imports iTextSharp.text
</code></pre>
<p>Is there something similar in Powershell? How can I force the PowerShell environment to recongnize the sub class (iTextSharp.text) without going through those steps I outlinged above?</p>
<p>My code is as follows:</p>
<pre><code>Add-Type -Path "$ScriptLocation\Includes\itextsharp.dll" -ErrorAction Stop

class PdfPageEvents : iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPageEventHelper {
[string]$headerText

PdfPageEvents([string]$headerText) {
$this.headerText = $headerText
}

# Override OnEndPage to add header and footer
[void] OnEndPage ([iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfWriter]$writer, [iTextSharp.text.Document]$document) {
$cb = $writer.DirectContent
$pageSize = $document.PageSize

# Add header
$header = New-Object iTextSharp.text.Paragraph($this.headerText, New-Object iTextSharp.text.Font([iTextSharp.text.Font]::ARIAL, 12))
$header.Alignment = [iTextSharp.text.Element]::ALIGN_CENTER
$headerTable = New-Object iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfPTable(1)
$headerTable.TotalWidth = $pageSize.Width - $document.LeftMargin - $document.RightMargin
$headerTable.AddCell($header)
$headerTable.WriteSelectedRows(0, -1, $document.LeftMargin, $pageSize.Height - $document.TopMargin + 15, $cb)

}
}

$pdfDocument = New-Object iTextSharp.text.Document([iTextSharp.text.Rectangle]::new([iTextSharp.text.PageSize]::A4.Height, [iTextSharp.text.PageSize]::A4.Width))

$fileStream = New-Object -TypeName IO.FileStream -ArgumentList ($FileOutputName, [System.IO.FileMode]::Create)
$pdfWriter = [iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfWriter]::GetInstance($pdfDocument, $filestream)
[iTextSharp.text.FontFactory]::RegisterDirectories()
$pdfDocument.Open()
$paragraph = New-Object -TypeName iTextSharp.text.Paragraph

$headerString = "Header Text"
$pdfWriter.PageEvent = [PdfPageEvents]::new("$headerString")
$paragraph.add("blah blah blah")
$pdfDocument.Add($paragraph)
$pdfDocument.Close()
</code></pre>
Continue reading...

Latest posts