OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

JavaScript Promise then() ordering

• Thread starter Thread starter dx_over_dt
  • Start date Start date
D

dx_over_dt

I'm still learning JavaScript Promises, and I came across a behavior I don't understand.

Code:
var o = $("#output");
var w = function(s) {
    o.append(s + "<br />");
}

var p = Promise.resolve().then(function() {
    w(0);
}).then(function() {
    w(1);
});

p.then(function() {
    w(2);
    return new Promise(function(r) {
        w(3);
        r();
    }).then(function() {
        w(4);
    });
}).then(function() {
    w(5);
});

p.then(function() {
    w(6);
});

Code:
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<div id="output"></div>

I would expect these statements to run in order--that is, the that output would be

Code:

Instead, the output is

Code:

Even removing the inner Promise gives, what seems to me to be, contradicting results. 1 is output before 2, but 6 is output before 5.

Can someone explain this to me?

Something I have noticed is that reassigning p each time gives us the order I would expect.

<p>I'm still learning JavaScript <code>Promise</code>s, and I came across a behavior I don't understand.</p>

<p><div class="snippet" data-lang="js" data-hide="false">
<div class="snippet-code">
<pre class="snippet-code-js lang-js prettyprint-override"><code>var o = $("#output");
var w = function(s) {
o.append(s + "<br />");
}

var p = Promise.resolve().then(function() {
w(0);
}).then(function() {
w(1);
});

p.then(function() {
w(2);
return new Promise(function(r) {
w(3);
r();
}).then(function() {
w(4);
});
}).then(function() {
w(5);
});

p.then(function() {
w(6);
});</code></pre>
<pre class="snippet-code-html lang-html prettyprint-override"><code><script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<div id="output"></div></code></pre>
</div>
</div>
</p>

<p>I would expect these statements to run in order--that is, the that output would be</p>

<pre><code>0
</code></pre>

<p>Instead, the output is </p>

<pre><code>0
</code></pre>

<p>Even removing the inner <code>Promise</code> gives, what seems to me to be, contradicting results. <code>1</code> is output before <code>2</code>, but <code>6</code> is output before <code>5</code>.</p>

<p>Can someone explain this to me?</p>

<p>Something I have noticed is that reassigning <code>p</code> each time gives us the order I would expect.</p>

Latest posts