OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

JavaScript eyedropper (tell color of pixel under mouse cursor)

• Thread starter Thread starter Pekka
  • Start date Start date
P

Pekka

I am looking for an "eyedropper" tool, that gives me the hex value of the pixel the mouse cursor is under, in JavaScript for a CMS.

For Firefox, there is the excellent ColorZilla extension that does exactly that. However, it's FF only of course, and I would really like to deliver the tool along with the CMS.

A dutch developer has had the very clever idea of using a combination of Ajax and PHP's imagecolorat() to find out the Pixel colour on an image. But that limits the range to images I can access server side, and I'm really dreaming of a universal tool.

I will work with one of these approaches, but would much prefer a cross-browser, Javascript or Flash based way that requires no server-side fiddling and no installing of extensions.

I am also interested in any IE specific solutions that do what ColorZilla can do - I could live with supporting IE and FF only, though a cross browser solution would of course be ideal.

<p>I am looking for an "<strong>eyedropper</strong>" tool, that gives me the hex value of the pixel the mouse cursor is under, in JavaScript for a CMS.</p>

<p>For Firefox, there is the excellent <a href="http://www.colorzilla.com/firefox/screenshots.html" rel="noreferrer"><strong>ColorZilla</strong></a> extension that does exactly that. However, it's FF only of course, and I would really like to deliver the tool along with the CMS.</p>

<p>A dutch developer has had the <a href="http://youngdutchdesign.com/moodrop-mootools-eyedropper-tool" rel="noreferrer"><strong>very clever idea</strong></a> of using a combination of Ajax and PHP's <code>imagecolorat()</code> to find out the Pixel colour on an image. <strong>But that limits the range to images I can access server side</strong>, and I'm really dreaming of a universal tool. </p>

<p>I will work with one of these approaches, but would much prefer a cross-browser, Javascript or Flash based way that requires no server-side fiddling and no installing of extensions.</p>

<p>I am also interested in any IE specific solutions that do what ColorZilla can do - I could live with supporting IE and FF only, though a cross browser solution would of course be ideal.</p>

Latest posts