OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

How to safely run user-supplied Javascript code inside the browser?

• Thread starter Thread starter Domi
  • Start date Start date
D

Domi

Imagine a scenario where I want to continuously invoke user-supplied Javascript code, like in the following example, where getUserResult is a function that some user (not myself) has written:

Code:
for (var i = 0; i < N; ++i) {
    var x = getUserResult(currentState);
    updateState(currentState, x);
}

How can I execute that kind of code in a browser and/or Node.js, without any security risks?

More generally, how can I execute a Javascript function that is not allowed to modify or even read the current webpage or any other global state? Is there something like an in-browser "JS virtual machine"?

How does JSFiddle ensure that you cannot run any malicious code (at the very least it could phish your login name, run a bot for the lifetime of the page, if not do much worse things)? Or doesn't it ensure that at all?

<p>Imagine a scenario where I want to continuously invoke user-supplied Javascript code, like in the following example, where <code>getUserResult</code> is a function that some user (not myself) has written:</p>

<pre><code>for (var i = 0; i < N; ++i) {
var x = getUserResult(currentState);
updateState(currentState, x);
}
</code></pre>

<p>How can I execute that kind of code in a browser and/or Node.js, without any security risks?</p>

<p>More generally, how can I execute a Javascript function that is not allowed to modify or even read the current webpage or any other global state? Is there something like an in-browser "JS virtual machine"?</p>

<p>How does JSFiddle ensure that you cannot run any malicious code (at the very least it could phish your login name, run a bot for the lifetime of the page, if not do much worse things)? Or doesn't it ensure that at all?</p>

Latest posts