OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

How to generate a random alphanumeric string with a formula in Excel (or Google Sheets or LibreOffice)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sam Critchley
  • Start date Start date
S

Sam Critchley

I'm trying to generate a random 8 character alphanumeric string in Excel (or Google Sheets or Libreoffice, which both have the same challenge) using a formula. I'd like to get something like this:

Code:
6n1a3pax

I've tried various formulae including ones like this which generate the ASCII characters for individual random numbers between an upper and lower number:

Code:
=CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) & CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) & CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) &CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))& CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) & CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) & CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) & CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))

However, they're lengthy, you have to repeat the RANDBETWEEN() function multiple times inside a formula, and you can't choose both "alpha" and "numeric" in the same RANDBETWEEN().

Is there any easy way to do this in Excel, Google Sheets or LibreOffice Calc? If a solution works in one and not in the others then great if you can mention which one(s).

(N.B. This is not a duplicate of questions about how to stop recalculation of randomisation functions in Excel)

Continue reading...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors