OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

How can I efficiently animate a CSS variable color change on hover? [closed]

• Thread starter Thread starter Software Developer
  • Start date Start date
S

Software Developer

I'm working on a web project where I have defined several colors using CSS variables (--primary-color, --secondary-color, etc.). I want to smoothly animate the change of these colors when hovering over specific elements.

Here's a simplified structure:

Code:
:root {
  --primary-color: #aaf;
  --secondary-color: #faa;
}

.element {
  background-color: var(--primary-color);
  transition: background-color 0.3s ease;
  padding: 20px;
  display: inline-block;
  cursor: pointer;
}

.element:hover {
  background-color: var(--secondary-color);
}

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
  <meta charset="UTF-8">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
  <title>CSS Variable Color Animation Example</title>
</head>
<body>
  <div class="element">Hover over me</div>
</body>
</html>

I've tried using transitions on the background-color property with CSS, as shown above. However, this approach doesn't smoothly transition between different CSS variable values (--primary-color to --secondary-color). The transition happens abruptly.

What's the best approach to achieve smooth color transitions using CSS animations or JavaScript? Any guidance or examples would be greatly appreciated!
<p>I'm working on a web project where I have defined several colors using CSS variables (<code>--primary-color</code>, <code>--secondary-color</code>, etc.). I want to smoothly animate the change of these colors when hovering over specific elements.</p>
<p>Here's a simplified structure:</p>
<p><div class="snippet" data-lang="js" data-hide="false" data-console="true" data-babel="false">
<div class="snippet-code">
<pre class="snippet-code-css lang-css prettyprint-override"><code>:root {
--primary-color: #aaf;
--secondary-color: #faa;
}

.element {
background-color: var(--primary-color);
transition: background-color 0.3s ease;
padding: 20px;
display: inline-block;
cursor: pointer;
}

.element:hover {
background-color: var(--secondary-color);
}</code></pre>
<pre class="snippet-code-html lang-html prettyprint-override"><code><!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
<title>CSS Variable Color Animation Example</title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="element">Hover over me</div>
</body>
</html></code></pre>
</div>
</div>
</p>
<p>I've tried using transitions on the background-color property with CSS, as shown above. However, this approach doesn't smoothly transition between different CSS variable values (<code>--primary-color</code> to <code>--secondary-color</code>). The transition happens abruptly.</p>
<p>What's the best approach to achieve smooth color transitions using CSS animations or JavaScript? Any guidance or examples would be greatly appreciated!</p>
Continue reading...

Latest posts

I
Replies
Views
impact christian
I