OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Efficient algorithm for online Variance over image batches

• Thread starter Thread starter Daraan
  • Start date Start date
D

Daraan

I have a large amount of images and want to calculate the variance (of each channel) across all of them. I am having the problem of finding an efficient (and even correct) algorithm for this.

I found the Welford's online algorithm, but it is way too slow as it does not vectorize across a single image or a batch of images.

How to improve the speed of it by using vectorization or making use of inbuilt variance algorithms?
<p>I have a large amount of images and want to calculate the variance (of each channel) across all of them.
I am having the problem of finding an efficient (and even correct) algorithm for this.</p>
<p>I found the <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithms_for_calculating_variance#Welford's_online_algorithm" rel="nofollow noreferrer">Welford's online algorithm</a>, but it is way too slow as it does not vectorize across a single image or a batch of images.</p>
<p>How to improve the speed of it by using vectorization or making use of inbuilt variance algorithms?</p>