OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Dtypes Data Frame Assigns nvarchar(MAX) by default

• Thread starter Thread starter Doug Coats
  • Start date Start date
D

Doug Coats

So i have this snippet. When the code runs to insert into a new table, it declares all columns as nvarchar(max). Clearly this is undesirable behavior. My question is, is there a way to define a length here? So that it isnt MAX?

I know I have two options from my research, which are:

1. Use a dict to predefine all columns with appropriate data types
  2. Maintain the staging table and Append as opposed to replace. This of course requires a truncate first.

Is there a way to do something like this dtype=NVARCHAR(100)? Or is there some other option I havent thought of yet?

Code:
data.to_sql
    (
        name=f'{table_name}'
        , schema='stage'
        , con=con
        , if_exists='replace'
        , index=False
        , dtype=NVARCHAR
    )
<p>So i have this snippet. When the code runs to insert into a new table, it declares all columns as nvarchar(max). Clearly this is undesirable behavior. My question is, is there a way to define a length here? So that it isnt MAX?</p>
<p>I know I have two options from my research, which are:</p>
<ol>
<li>Use a dict to predefine all columns with appropriate data types</li>
<li>Maintain the staging table and Append as opposed to replace. This of course requires a truncate first.</li>
</ol>
<p>Is there a way to do something like this <code>dtype=NVARCHAR(100)</code>? Or is there some other option I havent thought of yet?</p>
<pre><code>data.to_sql
(
name=f'{table_name}'
, schema='stage'
, con=con
, if_exists='replace'
, index=False
, dtype=NVARCHAR
)
</code></pre>