OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Custom wrapper around VS Code Remote-SSH extension

• Thread starter Thread starter Noah
  • Start date Start date
N

Noah

I really appreciate what the remote-ssh extension does: I want to be able to use VS Code to edit code and run commands on remote servers. The existing extension uses your SSH config to figure out what machines you might want to connect to and how to do so.

However I have a cluster of servers with rotating IPs and credentials. They're typically accessed by name or ID e.g. head-node or machine-306. I have a script I use to figure out the IP of and retrieve the right credentials. I want to be able to go into VS Code and simply type something like ctrl+shift+P cluster-remote and be prompted for a machine name to pass to my script, using the outputs to remote into the machine.

So I can see how to do start doing this with a custom VS Code extension, which I'm prepared to build. But that extension would need to talk to the existing remote-ssh extension - that's the part I don't know how to do. How might I go about doing this? Is there a better way?

<p>I really appreciate what the remote-ssh extension does: I want to be able to use VS Code to edit code and run commands on remote servers. The existing extension uses your SSH config to figure out what machines you might want to connect to and how to do so.</p>
<p>However I have a cluster of servers with rotating IPs and credentials. They're typically accessed by name or ID e.g. head-node or machine-306. I have a script I use to figure out the IP of and retrieve the right credentials. I want to be able to go into VS Code and simply type something like <code>ctrl+shift+P cluster-remote</code> and be prompted for a machine name to pass to my script, using the outputs to remote into the machine.</p>
<p>So I can see how to do start doing this with a custom VS Code extension, which I'm prepared to build. But that extension would need to talk to the existing remote-ssh extension - that's the part I don't know how to do. How might I go about doing this? Is there a better way?</p>

Latest posts