OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Case insensitive pandas dataframe.merge

• Thread starter Thread starter EMC
  • Start date Start date
E

EMC

I am struggling with the easiest way to do a case insensitive merge in pandas. Is there a way to do it right on the merge? Do I need to use (?i) or a regex with ignorecase? In my code snippet below I am joining some Countries where it may be "United States" in one file and "UNITED STATES" in another and I just want to take the case out of the equation. Thank you!

Code:
import pandas as pd
import csv
import sys

env_path = sys.argv[1]
map_path = sys.argv[2]

df_address = pd.read_csv(env_path + "\\address.csv")
df_CountryMapping = pd.read_csv(map_path + "\CountryMapping.csv")

df_merged = df_address.merge(df_CountryMapping, left_on="Country", right_on="NAME", how="left")

<p>I am struggling with the easiest way to do a case insensitive merge in pandas. Is there a way to do it right on the merge? Do I need to use (?i) or a regex with ignorecase? In my code snippet below I am joining some Countries where it may be "United States" in one file and "UNITED STATES" in another and I just want to take the case out of the equation. Thank you!</p>

<pre><code>import pandas as pd
import csv
import sys

env_path = sys.argv[1]
map_path = sys.argv[2]

df_address = pd.read_csv(env_path + "\\address.csv")
df_CountryMapping = pd.read_csv(map_path + "\CountryMapping.csv")

df_merged = df_address.merge(df_CountryMapping, left_on="Country", right_on="NAME", how="left")

</code></pre>

Latest posts