OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Calculate time it takes to sober up using BAC level and elapsed time

• Thread starter Thread starter Andor Németh
  • Start date Start date
A

Andor Németh

I am developing a drink tracker which would also be able to predict how long it takes approximately until the user fully sobers up after drinking.

I implemented the following logic for the BAC calculation:

Code:
const calculateCurrentBAC = (drinkHistory: DrinkHistoryItem[]) => {
  const currentDate = new Date();
  let currentBAC = 0;

drinkHistory.forEach((historyItem) => {
    const pastDate = new Date(historyItem.date);
    const differenceInMilliseconds = currentDate.getTime() - pastDate.getTime();
    const differenceInMinutes = differenceInMilliseconds / 1000 / 60;

const initialBAC = historyItem.bac;
    const bacEliminated =
      initialBAC -
      (differenceInMinutes / 60) * ALCOHOL_ELIMINATION_RATE_PER_HOUR;
    const bacAfterElimination = Math.max(bacEliminated, 0);

const minutesUntilSober = 
      (currentBAC / ALCOHOL_ELIMINATION_RATE_PER_HOUR) * 60;
    console.log(minutesUntilSober);

currentBAC += bacAfterElimination;
  });

When I am adding a drink in the app, the BAC level after the given drink is saved as a property to the object which gets added to the DrinkHistory array. (Meaning it always assumes the user had a BAC level of 0 and adds the BAC level after the user consumed the drink).

This BAC level is taken as a base and then for each drink I calculate the current BAC level with an alcohol elimination constant of 0.015 BAC / hour.

These BAC levels are then added up and their sum is the current BAC level of the user. From this BAC level I then derive the time it takes for the user to completely sober up. I do this with the same constant I use for calculating the current BAC level for each separate drink.

The problem arises when I test (currently just a console log) the decay in real time. There is a huge discrepancy between the assumed decay and the real life decay.

For example if I input 3x500ml beer at 10:00, then at first it says it takes 456 minutes to sober up which is correct because I checked with multiple online calculators as well as apps.

But if I fast forward to 12:00, (2 hours passed!) this calculation says there are 96 minutes left until sobriety which cannot be true since it would mean 6 hours passed already.

Where is my logic going wrong?

<p>I am developing a drink tracker which would also be able to predict how long it takes approximately until the user fully sobers up after drinking.</p>
<p>I implemented the following logic for the BAC calculation:</p>
<p><div class="snippet" data-lang="js" data-hide="false" data-console="true" data-babel="false">
<div class="snippet-code">
<pre class="snippet-code-js lang-js prettyprint-override"><code>const calculateCurrentBAC = (drinkHistory: DrinkHistoryItem[]) => {
const currentDate = new Date();
let currentBAC = 0;

drinkHistory.forEach((historyItem) => {
const pastDate = new Date(historyItem.date);
const differenceInMilliseconds = currentDate.getTime() - pastDate.getTime();
const differenceInMinutes = differenceInMilliseconds / 1000 / 60;

const initialBAC = historyItem.bac;
const bacEliminated =
initialBAC -
(differenceInMinutes / 60) * ALCOHOL_ELIMINATION_RATE_PER_HOUR;
const bacAfterElimination = Math.max(bacEliminated, 0);

const minutesUntilSober =
(currentBAC / ALCOHOL_ELIMINATION_RATE_PER_HOUR) * 60;
console.log(minutesUntilSober);

currentBAC += bacAfterElimination;
});</code></pre>
</div>
</div>
</p>
<p>When I am adding a drink in the app, the BAC level after the given drink is saved as a property to the object which gets added to the DrinkHistory array. (Meaning it always assumes the user had a BAC level of 0 and adds the BAC level after the user consumed the drink).</p>
<p>This BAC level is taken as a base and then for each drink I calculate the <em>current</em> BAC level with an alcohol elimination constant of 0.015 BAC / hour.</p>
<p>These BAC levels are then added up and their sum is the current BAC level of the user.
From this BAC level I then derive the time it takes for the user to completely sober up. I do this with the same constant I use for calculating the current BAC level for each separate drink.</p>
<p>The problem arises when I test (currently just a console log) the decay in real time. There is a <strong>huge</strong> discrepancy between the assumed decay and the real life decay.</p>
<p>For example if I input 3x500ml beer at 10:00, then at first it says it takes 456 minutes to sober up which is correct because I checked with multiple online calculators as well as apps.</p>
<p>But if I fast forward to 12:00, (2 hours passed!) this calculation says there are 96 minutes left until sobriety which cannot be true since it would mean 6 hours passed already.</p>
<p>Where is my logic going wrong?</p>