OiO.lk Community platform!

Oio.lk is an excellent forum for developers, providing a wide range of resources, discussions, and support for those in the developer community. Join oio.lk today to connect with like-minded professionals, share insights, and stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in the development field.
  You need to log in or register to access the solved answers to this problem.
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Activation functions: Softmax vs Sigmoid

• Thread starter Thread starter bearthum
  • Start date Start date
B

bearthum

I've been trying to build an image classifier with CNN. There are 2300 images in my dataset and two categories: men and women. Here's the model I used:

Code:
early_stopping = EarlyStopping(min_delta = 0.001, patience = 30, restore_best_weights = True)
model = tf.keras.Sequential()

model.add(tf.keras.layers.Conv2D(256, (3, 3), input_shape=X.shape[1:],  activation = 'relu'))

model.add(tf.keras.layers.MaxPooling2D(pool_size=(2, 2)))
model.add(tf.keras.layers.BatchNormalization())
model.add(tf.keras.layers.Conv2D(256, (3, 3), input_shape=X.shape[1:], activation = 'relu'))
model.add(tf.keras.layers.Flatten())  # this converts our 3D feature maps to 1D feature vectors

model.add(tf.keras.layers.Dense(64))

model.add(tf.keras.layers.Dense(1, activation='softmax'))

model.compile(loss='binary_crossentropy',
              optimizer='adam',
              metrics=['accuracy'])

h= model.fit(xtrain, ytrain, validation_data=(xval, yval), batch_size=32, epochs=30, callbacks = [early_stopping], verbose = 0)

Accuracy of this model is 0.501897 and loss 7.595693(the model is stuck on these numbers in every epoch) but if I replace Softmax activation with Sigmoid, accuracy is about 0.98 and loss 0.06. Why does such strange thing happen with Softmax? All info I could find was that these two activations are similar and softmax is even better but I couldn't find anything about such abnormality. I'll be glad if someone could explain what the problem is.
<p>I've been trying to build an image classifier with CNN. There are 2300 images in my dataset and two categories: men and women. Here's the model I used:</p>
<pre><code>early_stopping = EarlyStopping(min_delta = 0.001, patience = 30, restore_best_weights = True)
model = tf.keras.Sequential()

model.add(tf.keras.layers.Conv2D(256, (3, 3), input_shape=X.shape[1:], activation = 'relu'))

model.add(tf.keras.layers.Flatten()) # this converts our 3D feature maps to 1D feature vectors

model.add(tf.keras.layers.Dense(64))

model.add(tf.keras.layers.Dense(1, activation='softmax'))

model.compile(loss='binary_crossentropy',
optimizer='adam',
metrics=['accuracy'])

h= model.fit(xtrain, ytrain, validation_data=(xval, yval), batch_size=32, epochs=30, callbacks = [early_stopping], verbose = 0)
</code></pre>
<p>Accuracy of this model is 0.501897 and loss 7.595693(the model is stuck on these numbers in every epoch) but if I replace Softmax activation with Sigmoid, accuracy is about 0.98 and loss 0.06. Why does such strange thing happen with Softmax? All info I could find was that these two activations are similar and softmax is even better but I couldn't find anything about such abnormality. I'll be glad if someone could explain what the problem is.</p>

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors